Wednesday, December 31, 2014

Holidays

So awesome, I hope this works!!

Amber and I love being parents.  Hyrum is the man.  We had his four month appointment yesterday.
He is in the 98th percentile for height and 25th percentile for weight.  Crazy.  He keeps dropping with his weight, the doctor says it is probably just because Dad is tall and skinny but there is a small concern he is just not getting enough calories.  He's a very distracted little boy while he feeds, he's at the age where every noise and every new room he looks around all over the place so we have to try to limit distractions while he feeds so he gets all of his calories.  Today we will try rice cereal for the first time.  Hooray.  He's generally a pretty good sleeper and he's just a joy to have.

Christmas Eve we did with Mom and the Griffins.  It was nice.  Bread and Milk, nativity, and after the Griffins left Amber, Mom, and I worked on a puzzle of Jerusalem we got her for Christmas.  It was finished Christmas night by a slew of people, not including me.  A couple Griffins (Amber was impressed by Ben) A couple Jackman's (who knew Trent was crazy about puzzles) and some hot chick named Amber (she's always loved puzzles, one of her Grandpa's favorite activities).

Christmas was nice.  Amber's family came over.  We opened presents and had breakfast here.

In the afternoon we headed to Mom's where we saw Ashley and Dennis, ate soup, played some fast scrabble, were joined by the Griffins and Jackman's later in the night, and finished a puzzle.

I have loved the Christmas break.  I've been doing a ton of reading, I've been reading Lord of the Rings.  I have read it before, but this time through I have loved it so much more.  I've looked at the maps, looked up pictures online, and just got much more into the journey then when I previously read.  I love Tolkiens characters, evil and good.  His creativity and imaginiativity (is that a word) to come up with this book and this history and this quest, and Middle earth, and everything else is so awesome.

I'm also excited because before Christmas I got a phone call saying I would continue teaching in the Seminary program.  This means I have more time to improve, receive more training, and hopefully show that I can be one of the Lord's tools in this work.  I am doing all I can to make it hard for them to tell me no.  I cannot believe the time I have put in to this.  I had no idea the time committment it would take, especially lesson prep.  But EVERY SINGLE MINUTE has been worth it.

It will be my second semester of student teaching.  The call will come in April with what will happen next year.  I thought it might come this December, but I am finding out this program is impossible to predict.  I have absolutely loved teaching Doctrine and Covenants and still feel there are so many things to improve on as a teacher.  It's fun to take the challenge and to watch the Lord bless me and my students through his Spirit.  The second half of D&C is packed with awesome sections.  I look forward to teaching 76, 88, 89, 107. 121-123, 135 and 136.

The highlight thusfar of teaching seminary was having Brother Howell come to our house for a home visit.  He is in charge of hiring for CES.  He was so kind to Amber and I and we could feel of his love for us.  One of the blessings/benefits of a seminary instructor that I never thought of before is the brotherhood that exists amongst the teachers and the CES overall.  I love Brother Sainsbury and Brother Clark (my instructors over this past year).  I loved those who have gone through the program with me.  I have come to love a few of the other instructors I teach with at Herriman.  It's fun to rub shoulders with really good people.

Amber is a dedicated Mom.  She is part of a neighborhood book club.  They're reading the Beekeepers appretice this month and read a book last month called Stargirl that she loved.  She does zumba a couple times a week, is an awesome YW president, and an awesome wife.  We have LOVED being together over the Christmas break.  My hectic work schedule, her business in life, and Hyrum have not allowed us to have a ton of time together from September-now, so we are taking advantage of the break and preparing for a busy 4-5 months that are about to come.

We love you guys and I'll see if I can post a pic for you!  From Hyrum's blessing day.



4 comments:

  1. Awesome post Reed! I loved hearing what you and Amber are up to. Fingers crossed on the seminary program. It was so fun to see you (even if just for a minute) on Christmas.

    PS. I should remember that my glasses=major glare.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good job, Reed! Good to hear from you. Sounds like you guys got lots of time together over the break. I relate to what you said about having less time with Amber- these last four months have felt insane with Greg gone constantly and a new baby in the mix- we have enjoyed the break too just for lots of time together. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh and good job with the seminary stuff. I am so amazed by your tenacity and dedication to it. Teenagers will be lucky to have someone like you help them understand the gospel.

      Delete
  3. Reed, thanks for the update. Sounds like life is busy and fulfilling. Sure wish we could hang out more! Good luck with the seminary and good luck to Amber as YW prez… that's a big calling!

    ReplyDelete