Monday, May 4, 2015

ALWAYS SOMETHING


Ok, what's really lame is that I started this earlier tonight, then got so incredibly tired that I couldn't write anything sensible, so in my semi conscious state I exited out assuming my draft would be saved.  But, alas, it is no where to be found, so I guess I'm back to square one.  Don't want to think of how many times I've done that!  
So the house is quiet.  Trav and his family are staying the night . That brings the grand total to 16 of people who have spent the night in the last four nights.  On THursday night, Phil was passing through town and I was thrilled to have have him come, along with Nedra, Lori Pond, Laura Duzett and a random friend, They were.keeping with the tradition of staying with me when the come down to the BYU Women's Conference.  We had a nice night of visiting and catching up, and several of your came to join in. Some  were heading to the 9:30 premiere of "The Avengers, Part whatever,:  so you  stopped to visit on youir way.   I am always happy to have company, and tonight was no different, except I have this sinus infection (or whatever it is!) that is driving me nuts.  I have had it for like a month.  I travelled all through Germany and Italy with it.  Finally, on Friday morning, after all my company had left,   I snuck in a trip to the Doctor.  She looked at me 5 minutes and prescribed a powerful antibiotic, a "Z-pack'"  Well, today was the third day taking that; I wish I could see a difference.  I'm not terribly sick, just dragging and tired all the time.  I hate that!  Makes me realize how good it is to feel good, which is what I do most of the time!
My next round of guests came with the Griffin kids.  While Becky & Dave went to St. George, I tended. They slept at my house Friday night, but first I was busy taking them here and there, feeding them dinner, taking them to a movie, etc.  Everyone was good....everyone was easy.  Saturday was busy with kids coming and going...Ben to a tennis tournament, Eli to a service project, a soccer game for Ricky.  I tried to get a bit accomplished in my yard, but did not get far...still dragging.
Beck & Dave came home that night (Dave's birthday), raving about the good break they had had...after tasting a bit of their busy life keeping up with 5 kids and their busy schedules,  thought it could not have been long enough!
My last round of company came today....Trav and his family came to spend the night, with stuff going on tomorrow.  THey brought a LOVELY dinner with them, and served me.  So good!  It's been nice to have them and see their kids.  Wish I had more energy, tho.  Tomorrow at 12:30 they have tickets to the Payson Temple Open House and I will go with them.  Looking forward to that!

So what I really should do is a brief recap of the month of April.  It may seem redundant to most of you, since I  either see you or talk to you regularly and keep you updated, but I have, after many years, stopped keeping a journal.  Weird, I know, to quit now, but I figure there's a big enough record of my life.  Maybe TMI. So this will stand as my April Journal.

HIGHLIGHTS
1-Phil and Kathryn's visit from Denver for Conference/Easter week.  We had some glorious days with the cousins especially enjoying each other.  Phil had to work a good part of the week, but still we had good times.  A visit to the Family History Discovery Center in Salt Lake, a trip up the Canyon for a campfire dinner, family dinners, an Easter egg hunt, our traditional visit to Pizza Pie CafĂ©, and of course, Conference.  Travis and Tammy made it up for the weekend, and it was good to have everyone together.

2-On that busy weekend, Mary & Trenton went with me up Provo Canyon, where I had been asked to talk to the youth of Gordon Creek Ward at their Youth Conference.  It was up at a lodge, and it was a good night.  So good (and always a little tender) to see those people I have loved.  Kim Martino invited me up.  She is serving as YW President, and to think there was a time when she was less active!  Her counselors were Linda Dimick, our old next door neighbor who was barely active, and another gal that had struggled to be active.  So good to see these good women serving!  The YM President was Alan Maynes.  After a lifetime of serving and working with youth, he shook his head at his present experience.  “It’s just hard,” he said.  “I don’t know what to do with the kids these days.  They are so busy they don’t have time for mutual, they don’t know how to work, they’re spoiled….I sympathized and remembered how Dad had struggled with his humble calling in YM after having been Bishop, Stake President, etc.  Some of the hardest work done in the church is in the trenches….by those not really recognized for their efforts.

3-Germany.  Just a few days after Phil’s family left, I left for Germany.  Mindy had worked hard to plan and execute an amazing road trip during my visit.  I arrived on a Wednesday, and by Thursday morning six of us were loaded in our van and on our way.  We drove south, up over the Italian Alps and into Florence Italy.  The sights were breathtaking.  I actually enjoyed the car travel.  It gave us time together…I had the kids close for those days, when usually they are so far.  Mindy had reserved a villa for us in this little sanctuary on the outskirts of Florence.  It was run by two Italian sisters, and it was lovely.  Truly felt the Tuscan spirit.  Our days consisted of museum visits, a guided tour through the Tuscan countryside, a visit to Piso, where we marveled at the Leaning Tower, various attempts at restaurant eating (with varied results with the children!)and of course, Sunday attendance at the local Mormon church.  We expected to find a little struggling Branch in Florence, but found a nice church, where we had to sit in an overflow, because the chapel was filled!  I figured they must host a lot of tourists.  They even had headphones ready for us so we could listen to the service in English!  I know some find it easy to skip church when they travel, but it’s always been extra important to me to remember my covenants when I am far from home and hoping for safety and protection.  When all things seem strange and new and different, it is reassuring to me that Heavenly Father is still there, ever constant, ever blessing me.
Did I mention the gelato in Italy.  Positively the most decadent and delicious dessert I have ever tasted.  It is like translated ice cream……oh so rich, oh so good.  We stopped for it somewhere every day we were there, sometimes twice a day!  I was terrified at the weight I was gaining, but stood by my old motto,
“Carpe Diem!”  Our last night in Florence was capped off by a cooking class we took from one of the sisters at the villa.  She cooked, of course, only with natural, unprocessed, fresh foods.  Everything seemed extra healthy, except for the COPIOUS amounts of olive oil she cooked with!  Anyway, we learned a lot about herbs and spices and everything else and it was great.  Then, we enjoyed dinner in their dining room, with Ben joining us.  All of this, mind you was in their villa, which dated back to like the 1600’s.  Wow.
On our way home from Florence, we swung out by the Mediterranean coastline and spent a night there.  Breathtakingly beautiful.  We visited the beach, enjoyed the quaint little towns, and took a ferry ride up the coast.  Mindy’s smartest move on this trip was to bring scooters for the two little girls.  They pushed their way around Italy on those scooters, never tiring, never falling behind.  Impressive that they were able to navigate through the many roads we walked, some quiet, some quite busy.  Then it was Friday, and we were headed home to Germany.  After a long day of travel, we arrived late at Mindy’s.  I got to bed just before midnight, only to arise at 4:30ish to get ready to go to the airport for my flight home.  Ben was the valiant soul who got up and drove me there. 
The trip was never to be forgotten….just a few observations about Mindy’s family:
BEN- Mindy did well marrying Ben!  He is ever good natured, every willing, ever accommodating.  He loves his children fiercely and serves them tirelessly. 
He is A GOOD MAN, and it gives me great comfort to know that Mindy is so well cared for.
MINDY-Does anybody else remember Mindy when she seemed a bit of a wimp?  I always said she acted as though she thought she was an only child, wanting special care and attention.  Well, she has emerged as a strong, capable, even tough woman!  Becky described her as intrepid, and that fits.  She walked and walked, never afraid to climb to the highest towers, to carry James on her back, to keep going and going and going.  This girl is a force to be dealt with.  She’s had the challenges of military life….of moving often, being in strange surroundings, etc, and they have made her strong.  Nice, Mindy.
EMILY-Emily is quiet, thoughtful, smart, logical, compliant, and so easy.  She is NOT the squeaky wheel (can you guess who is?) and she does not get the grease. But she seems happy, and she is good.  She touches my heart
CAROLINE- Gets greased frequently, cuz she squeaks loudly.  She’s illogical, unreasonable, independent, loud, and can be very uncompliant!  At the same time, she is a charming little pixie with an infectious smile and a VERY fun spirit.  Gotta love her.  She touches my heart, as well.
JAMES- “James-y Waymes-z,” as his family calls him, strikes the balance between his two older sisters.  He is generally easy, with streaks of difficulty.  He is a rough and tumble little boy but  beautiful to look at.  I was so glad to have that time with this little boy none of us know very well.  He is loving and fits perfectly into his family, who loves him so much.

4-Home to the states, where I struggled to recover from jet lag and this nagging sinus issue.  Various calendar items, including Relief Society Mettings, a Ward Breakfast, two last shifts at the Timpanogos Temple, a couple of family weddings, time with friends, a visit to the Tulip Festival at Thanksgiving Point with Amber and Hyrum, and a Book Club.  No wonder I am tired.

With that, I will close! Now I will be finalizing plans for  our trip to Cancun.

Details will be forthcoming.  Working on a Humanitarian opportunity for us.  Tell your kids to save some space in their suitcases (you, too)!  This should be quite the trip!  Thirty six  of us, with three vans,  and  hotel like accommodation.  These are the golden days.  Carpe Diem!

2 comments:

  1. Ah, thanks for your report Mom. I've posted quite a bit on our family blog if you want to check it out. I'll probably copy and paste some pics to this blog, but wanted to give others a chance to post. thanks for the kind words. I would describe you as easy, low maintenance, patient, attentive to the kids, good traveler, and a good conversationalist. Thanks for coming!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mom thanks for keeping the blog going. I feel I've kind of given up on this stuff. When I see other's post it motivates me to want to do it as well. I guess if for nothing else a jounral and for Mindy in Germany.

    ReplyDelete