Sunday, February 22, 2015

January/February

Hello one and all

Happenings in Reed's life

1-School-Trying my best to not look ahead to end of year.  Every morning I wake up and start thinking about how long it is until the end of the year.

I have enjoyed it and know I'll look back on it as a memorable school year as I've tried to tackle History, Spanish, and Seminary.  I've really enjoyed teaching History for the first time, but it comes with some difficulties like more lesson planning and learning to work with "my team".  I don't think I've ever been great at working with other people, probably there's a lot of Dad in me there.  I'm too opinionated and get frustrated when things don't go how I want them too.  I remember thinking on my mission a bunch "why do we need companions?  If I could just teach the whole time it would go a lot better."  Now I think "why do we have to have common assesments and common curriculum, why can't I just teach history my way and you guys teach history your way"

I know it's not supposed to be that way, and I know if done right working with others leads to more beneficial results (at least that's what Stephen Covey says).  So it's a constant battle for me, but one that is worth changing over.  I have to have the mindset "OK Reed, if you just do what the school asks you to do and work towards that everything will be much simpler"  It's true, but difficult for me.  I really like my History and Spanish team, but often times find myself at odds with how and what we teach.  I have noticed the benefits though when I just get on the same page with them instead of the constant whining and complaining that teaching can become.

2-Seminary-It is so much better this semester!  I have such a good class, and I only teach one.  I am waking up at 4:10 only twice a week instead of 4 times a week and it's made such a difference!  I've had more time at home, been able to stay up later, and been able to study some aspects of seminary teaching that I didn't have time for in the first semester.  I feel like there's improvement, it comes slowly but surely.  No matter what happens I will forever be grateful for this opportunity.  It has changed my life for the better.

We have a general authority interview on March 2nd with Elder Baxter from the quorum of the 70.  It's pretty exciting!  I can't imagine it being a bad sign.

I taught d&c 88 and d&c 93 in the last couple weeks.  They both have some awesome awesome stuff.  I know Dennis has been fascinated with how we have eternally existed.  D&C 93 29-36 teach lots of that stuff.  Light, truth, intelligence.  You should study it with the D&C teacher seminary guide (online) Dennis.  I think you'd find it fascinating.

Did you guys know that this earth is going to become the Celestial Kingdom?  I may have heard that somewhere along the way but forgot, but I was totally caught off guard by that when teaching section 88.  The earth lives through the light of Christ.  It was baptized by water, it will die.  It will resurrect and become the Celestial Kingdom because it obeyed a Celestial law.  The earth fulfilled the measure of its creation, was obedient to the Father, and therefore will become a Celestial Kingdom.  So crazy and cool.  If we obey the laws that have been laid out for us we will receive our Celestial glory on this earth after the millenium!  (D&C 88:17-21)

3-I enjoy my callings of Sunday school  teacher, assistant cub scout master, and home teacher.  Have loved the New Testament thus far, am being introduced to pinewood derbies, blue and golds and everything else boy scouts, and love my home teaching families. 

Happenings in Amber's life

1-Her life has become wrapped up in one word, Hyrum.  She's created a special bond with him.  On Mondays and Wednesday's she helps tend our little niece Emma.  She usually goes out with them and maybe some neighborhood friends to a park or to a house for lunch or some kind of little walk during the day (hasn't February weather been crazy!).  

2-She's been enjoying some different fitness classes.  She really enjoys Zumba with an old ward friend named Laura.  Laura is a saint who has adopted 3 children from other countries.  All three of them are teenagers and in 8th grade.  The daughter has become extremely difficult.  It's crazy this thing we call life and the challenges it can throw out at us.  Every time Amber tells me about Laura and her daughter my heart just breaks.  Her daughter is constantly lying to her Mom and arguing with her.  The daughter is a good girl but just struggling right now.  

I saw a facebook post Mindy put on about Caroline lying to her face.  I don't know how I'm going to deal with lying.  Hyrum better never ever lie!  I never did.  Why do some kids never lie (me, Emily) and others lie all the time (Dennis, Caroline)?  I had a student lie straight to my face this year as a teacher.  She never admitted the truth.  I took it to administration, we called in her Mom, and she would never admit to cheating on the test.  Unbelievable, she had been caught red handed and she just wouldn't admit to it!

Anyway's I digress.  Back to Amber, she also took her first barr class with Bonnie yesterday.  They both got 10 passes on groupon.  Sounded like an intense but good workout.

3-She continues in young women and is grateful for good counselors.  There are triumphs and challenges in the calling.  Her group is growing.

Happenings in Hyrum's life

1-I love my Mom
2-I'm trying to figure out how to sleep through the night on a consistent basis.  I keep my parents on their toes with naps.  Sometimes I'll nap for a long time and sometimes I'll do it for only 20 minutes.  I don't want to make things too easy on my parents.  I know they want me to keep a consistent schedule, but I don't really feel like doing what they want me to do.  I have some of my dad and some of my Baba already in this way.
3-I love when Dad gets home from work, he always takes me on a walk.  He's always speaking to me and his words sound different than Mom's.  I don't quite understand what either one of them is saying to me yet.  He does let me listen to cool music on our walks.  I have a little beanie that when I wear it my parents start making really strange noises and squeeze me tighter and smile bigger.
4-I love my cousin Emma.  I see her twice a week and can't keep my eyes off of her.
5-I roll all over the place,  I'm getting stronger every day.  Mom keeps saying she doesn't want me to grow up, but that's all I want to do!
6-I have some pretty cool toys.  I'm finally tall enough to put both feet on the ground in a bouncer.  The bouncer is my favorite!  I also like putting everything I can find in my mouth.  I've started eating some different food.  I really like the sweet potatoes.  I can't wait to eat grown up food.
7-I love being outside.  I wear some pretty cool sunglasses that protect my eyes on sunny days.
8-I love seeing my grandmas, aunts and uncles, and cousins!  

Events
1-Night with an apostle, all CES teachers got to go.  It was with Elder Holland.  Overall message, fear not.  The battle has already been won.  If we are living the gospel, and if our students do what they are supposed to do, there is no reason to fear. 
Also a huge part of his message, be cheerful.

2-Valentines day rocked.  It was fun to exchange some small gifts and be with each other.  They should make valentine's day on Saturday every year.

3-Got invited to a Jounrey concert by some friends.  We have a friend that works for a company and the company rented out Energy Solutions Arena and hired journey for a private concert.  They invited us to go and it was so awesome!  Journey is now one of my fave bands.  They have some really good stuff and are better then I originally thought.

4-Birthday celebrations for January birthdays and celebrating Ben's birthday in February at Mom's house.






7 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've heard that lying in children is a sign of intelligence.
    In the words of George Costanza:
    It's not a lie, if you believe it.

    www.youtube.com/watch?v=vn_PSJsl0LQ

    ReplyDelete
  3. Also, have you read the Alchemist? It's a spiritual book… what you said about the earth becoming the Celestial Kingdom… very interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amber's reading the Alchemist this month for her book club. Maybe I'll read it with her. I feel like I've read it, and if I remember right I thought it was totally lame.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Reed! LOVED hearing from you...I see you all the time, and still learned tons from your post. You guys are living the dream. I'm happy for you

    ReplyDelete
  6. Reed, thanks for your entry last week. I want you to know I fasted and prayed for you today regarding your visit with a member of the 70 tomorrow. I know you are prepared, and the scriptures tell us that if we are prepared we don't have to fear.

    I did not know you were Assistant Cub Master. We need to compare notes! We just did our Blue and Gold Banquet. It was a hoot. We made it Oscars/Hollywood themed, since it was 2 days after the Oscars, and each of the dens made a movie that we then showed. The kids loved it. Instead of "dinner" we had everyone bring hors douevres (appetizers), which was good. Pinewood Derby coming up in March. I just realized that Sam is not in it this year, so I don't have to make one. Yippee!

    Thanks,

    Phil

    ReplyDelete
  7. All of the collaboration pushing at school drives me crazy too. I do know that there is benefit that comes from it but when they try to force it so much, it's a little rough. It just feels so unnatural to me. When there are teachers who are on top of their classrooms and with whom I can learn a lot from I naturally gravitate toward them and ask for ideas. It seems like collaboration should come about organically, not be a forced task.

    ReplyDelete