Sunday, February 1, 2015

Superbowl, Chemistry, and Bowling

Hey everyone!

January is always kind of a welcome lull after all the holiday craziness.  It makes for a nice chance to relax, but not a very exciting fast Sunday blog post.  So sorry if it's dull, but I do want to keep you all updated!

Trent has started winter semester classes.  He's doing genetics, O-chem 2, abnormal psychology, psychology of gender, history of creativity, and bowling.  So far he's done really well to keep up in his classes.  This week will be the first round of midterms, and I'm sure he'll do great.  Last night we went bowling with Bonnie, Agatha, Marianne, and Adam, and Trent showed off his amazing skills.  I did less favorably, which is just fine by me.  Trent is also volunteering at the state mental hospital for his abnormal psychology class.  He's been able to work with adolescent boys, many of whom are in the hospital due to rough family situations.  It's been a really neat opportunity.  Every day I am reminded of how lucky we are to have the family, lifestyle, and general peace of the gospel in our lives.

I have been in the trenches of applying for the master's program in organic chemistry at BYU.  I have spent a lot of time gathering letters of recommendation, writing my statement of intent, and preparing for and taking the GRE.  I just took the test last Monday, and am anxiously awaiting the results for my scores.

A lot of people advise you to establish contact with professors before admissions.  Because I only want to do a master's, I'm at a big disadvantage to all the students doing a Ph.D.  If I can get a professor who knows he wants me in his lab before they make the admissions decision, I will be at a much better spot.  Trent and I went to dinner with a couple of professors a couple of weeks ago.  It was way fun.  We talked a little science, and a little bit about general life plans/stories.  I think it was good to get my name and face out there, and the food was delicious.  I've also met with another professor, and will meet with two more next week.  Fingers crossed!  I feel like I'm doing my part to get in, so I have to be content either way that the admissions go.  I find out April 15, which seems SO FAR away!

We are now gathered at mom's watching the Superbowl Game.  Well, every male right now is watching the game.  Each female is on some electrical device doing something else.  It's awesome.  I snapped some quick pictures, thinking especially of Mindy. :)

I told Davy multiple times to smile normal.



Other than that our life has been pretty standard.  We have watched a lot of BYU basketball.  I've been tutoring Ben in chemistry a little.  When I asked him how his test went, he said, "Alright."  When I pressed him for a few more details, he then said, "I dunno.  I got 100%."  That sounds pretty good to me.  We've also watched a lot of Psych.  Have any of you watched that show?  We really like it.  We're in the very last season.  It's one of the best funny:clean ratios I've seen for a long time.  It's been good.

We love you guys so much!  I hope everything is going well!
Love, Mary and Trent

4 comments:

  1. Mar Mar! Good to hear from you! I notice that you mention that "Trent showed off his amazing skills" and then failed to mention that I beat him! In all seriousness, though, it was fun hanging out with you. We need to do it more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I watched the pilot last night of psych and thought it was just so-so. What seasons are the best? And how do you watch it for free? it costs on amazon prime. Also, thanks for the pics. Also, you're probably the best chemistry tutor around. I wish I had asked you to tutor me when I was in chemistry. You would have been six, but yiu probably would still have been helpful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It took me a while to get into Psych, too. I think by season three they really hit their stride, but it's fun to watch it beforehand to get all the backstory, too. I know they have all the episodes available for streaming on Netflix. We've borrowed the seasons from Trent's parents. Sorry if that's not very helpful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We like Psych.

    BYU basketball? Does Trent get along with Braithwaites? He's pretty hardcore. TO be watching BYU this year shows his devotion. They're not very good are they?

    ReplyDelete