Sunday, February 1, 2015

The Brothers Griffin and One Princess

Sorry everybody that I didn't post last month.  I'm sitting in mom's family room sort of watching the Super Bowl.

What to write about?

Ben has been busy with basketball, got his eagle project done, and "failed my driving test."  Can you believe he's going to be sixteen in two weeks?   I can't believe we have become basketball parents. We whine and complain about politics just like the worst of them.  But I'll spare you.  Ben has a good team, and he's learning a lot.

Eli and Ricky just had a piano recital.  Ricky was born with more confidence than he needs.  But he's awfully cute when he goes up there.  No jitters for him.  Eli did well too playing Hopak, by a Russian composer who there is now way I could spell.  It starts with an M an ends with a Y.  Eli has decided he's not too fond of Russians.

Both Eli and Ben are their quorum presidents.  That means I get to hear things all the time like, "What?!  Another meeting?!"  or "Why do the leaders make us plan this stuff?  Why don't they do the work?"  or  "Why do the meetings have to last two hours?"  So yeah, we're training them for future leadership positions.

Last Saturday I spent all afternoon at a ballroom dance performance.  For Davy.  There are times when you wonder why you try.  I kept praying that he wouldn't run into the couple behind him, and let's just say my prayers weren't answered.  What I don't understand is how can a boy struggle in ballroom and then show such amazing aptitude at snowboarding?  I would think there would be some kind of correlation between these skill sets.  

Yes, he just tried out snowboarding for the first time last month, and his teacher said he was a  natural.  Go figure.  The snowboarding lessons were the reward for doing ballroom.  Obviously, he thought showing up for ballroom was enough.  "I'm only here so I don't get fined."  He's still pretty darling out there on the floor.  The funniest thing was that he was about a foot taller than everyone else.

Deborah  is still my #1 fan.  Everyone needs a fan.  She always wants to cuddle with me or
"hang out" with me or go wherever I'm going.

 She wants to go everywhere.  "I'm just going to drop Ben off to practice.  I'm not even getting out of the car."  She still wants in.  She will even watch Masterpiece with me.  Now that's dedication.  I would recommend that everyone find a #1 fan.  She's cuddling with me now, putting her arm around mine.  She's such a sweetheart.  I have already told her all about Nonnie, and it seems like they have a lot in common.  Deborah is totally into sparkle sparkle and thinks I need to wear brighter lipstick.

David has taken up cooking.  It's been great.  He's been making chili and chicken noodle soup and chicken tortilla soup and chocolate chip cookies and orange chicken and the boys are now demanding that he do all the cooking.  I'm trying to decide whether to be greatly hurt or just milk this for all it's worth.  

I will try to get a picture or two posted soon.  I'm doing this on Mom's computer.  Trent had to walk me through logging in.  Love you guys!

Rebekah



 


5 comments:

  1. Ben failed your test or the school test for driving? Are you making him practice in the big red wagon? Because that's not fair.

    I should take Davy up to Sundance next time we have a snowstorm. I used to be a snowboard instructor. He seems like he'd be good at it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's awesome that Davy likes snowboarding. I really wish I would have learned to snowboard or ski when I was younger. Winter is always tough for me to get through and I think if I had something fun and active for me to do outside it would help me to enjoy it more. Agathe says that in France skiing is way more affordable- 30 or 40 to go for the day versus 100 here. I wish it weren't so dang expensive here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Get a season pass to one of the less hoity-toity resorts, buy some skis off ksl.com and you can cut down your costs! Also, it is never too late to learn! You are only in your twenties for crying out loud!

      Delete
  3. Dave's cooking sounds awesome. If my children ever demand that Trent does all the cooking, I will be just great with that complaint. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. So impressed you threw in the "I'm only doing this so I won't get fined" line. Ben S. I'm sure appreciates that one.

    That's funny about being confused about how Davy shows such a natural skill for snowboarding but can't do ballroom. I remember Dad saying something to the effect of "I can't believe how well you can throw a baseball, but can't cast a fishing line into the lake without getting it all tangled" I have no idea why Dad ever took me fishing. He spent all the time untangling my lines, I spent the time freezing and wishing I was anywhere else. A total lose lose situation. Maybe Dad and I will fish together in heaven. Real fishing and fishers of men. He's more patient and I finally learned how to cast a line into the lake instead of straight down into the rocks or seaweed.

    ReplyDelete